Sun, Jan 30|
Ideology and Immigration Policy "Deep Dive" - A Learning Community (December 2021)
Why are public debates on immigration so divisive? How can we as advocates intervene in public discourse to promote the ideal of a nation of immigrants?
Time & Location
Jan 30, 2022, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
About The Event
Ideology and Immigration Policy “Deep Dive” – A Learning Community on Immigration and Citizenship
This 4-week learning community maps and explores the terrain of immigration politics in America. We will achieve this by
• examining key moments in American history, court cases and actions of policymakers that have shaped our current regulatory and legal framework for immigration; and
• exploring strategies to address and navigate attitudinal barriers, normative assumptions about citizenship, the role of borders, and other socio-economic phenomena that systematically pose challenges to advocacy and transformative public debate on immigration.
This learning community is open to all advocates who believe in, and are committed to, re-invigorating an inclusive American ideal of a nation of immigrants.
We will convene online through Zoom.
Registration is limited to 15 participants.
Learning community dates:
Sunday January 9, 2022 - Sunday January 30, 2022
The schedule of topics is listed below:
- Session 1: “Why It’s Complicated” – Examining Core Regulatory and Legal Concepts in U.S. Immigration Law
- Session 2: E Pluribus Unum and “Others” – Who is deemed to merit citizenship? Who is the “ideal citizen”? Doesn’t Immigration advance the common good?
- Session 3: Exploring National Sovereignty: Executive Prerogative, Policing the Border and Immigrant Detention
- Session 4: Cosmopolitanism and Human Rights: Moving beyond the logic of sanctuary and protection
Participation cost for one 4-week online session: $200.00. Group enrollments for multiple members of a nonprofit organization are available. All participants should purchase a copy of Joseph Carens "The Ethics of Immigration." Access to all additional course materials, such as webinars, readings, exercises, and other study resources are included in the cost of registration. For leaders of nonprofit organizations, cost includes one additional free 50 minute online consultation session with your organization to incorporate course themes into an outreach and advocacy strategy.
Immigration Deep Dive-July 18
Immigration Deep Dive- July cohort